Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday Thoughts

We just got back from an early-morning drive through the city and I was thinking of writing something about that, about beautiful sunrises and birds singing at dawn, but I don't know if I have the right words to explain why that and the otherwise silent city means so much to me. I've said in the past to people that sunsets and kittens are two good reasons to believe in a loving God and love creation, and you can put sunrises and joyful bird wakings on that list, too, but it's more a personal thing than something I expect anyone to really share. Still, I can say there's something beautiful and even awe-inspiring in getting to see those things in the middle of a large city before most people have stirred from their homes. A moment where you can glimpse a peaceful creation is something wonderful.

And that might be enough for today, but I thought I'd grab a random Bible verse to see if it inspired me to write something more anyhow.

The Bible verse I got led me to Chapter 12 of Romans, and it does touch upon something I've been thinking about, so I think it's probably a good idea for me to try to explore what it means for me.

Romans 12 in its entirity strikes me as a pretty good summary of what I believe Christianity ought to be about. It acknowledges that everyone's approach to serving God is different, and then goes on to touch on the ways Christians ought to act: with love, forgiveness, and charity for everyone. Both of these are important to me.

Tackling the second one first: I feel that we are a very selfish nation overall. I feel I personally am selfish at times, of course, and I try to be aware of how I am and minimize it where I feel able to. I don't do a great job, but I am at least aware of that and I do want to keep trying to be a better person, a better neighbor if you will.

But what really saddens me most is the sheer number of people who call themselves Christians (a rather large number in this country) who seem to want nothing to do with charity or love for their fellow man, and don't ever even recognize that in themselves. Whether it's a failure to act personally or a trend towards supporting politicians and leaders and policies that do not encompass that love and charity doesn't matter, because the end result is the same: a lot of people who need help or even just understanding, but don't get it. It's sad to me that I live in one of the wealthiest nations on Earth and yet there are so many who don't even have basic needs, let alone anything more. It's sad to me that I live in a country that says it stands for human rights and yet hate crimes are still common. I wish I could magically fix those things, but the only solution is for everyone to work on changing them, not just a few people here and there.

Which leads to that other part, the part about how to serve God. I hear a lot of Christians talking about "dedicating their lives to Jesus" and living every moment for God and doing what God wants, and I wonder... why do they seem so sure when I am not? I don't know what God wants me to do aside from try to be a good person, am I missing something? Does God really care how I season my chicken (and how would I do that "for" God anyhow)? When I scratch myself, am I doing it for God? It seems like they mean something I can't quite grasp.

Yet Romans 12 seems to say that everyone is going to approach life in a different way, based on their gifts. Maybe some people's gift is for thinking of how every act can serve God (though I still don't think He cares whether they wear their blue shirt or the green one, but...), because they're ones who are called to serve. Maybe I'm not. Maybe the reason I think God doesn't care if I use beans in my chili is because my gift is really more about entertainment and occasional thought-provocation, and those things are important, too.

I am treating this with more seriousness than the joking might convey. I do sometimes wonder if I am missing something, if I shy away from the concept of "serving God" or "serving Christ" because I'm trying to avoid something. But honestly, throughout the years, I think the two things I've been best at have been listening sympathetically to my friends, and providing them some humor and entertainment—two things humans need to remain sane, I think. So I suppose I will just go on doing that, and other little things as I can, and hope that someone, somewhere, has a better life (or at least a better day) because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment