Monday, November 2, 2009

(Belated x2) Sunday Thoughts

"Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation."—Mark 16:15

A fairly sizable portion of Christians seem to believe that the primary goal of all Christians should be to preach to others, and I believe this is one of the verses that makes them think so.

I disagree, for two reasons:

1) This is specifically addressed to Jesus' disciples at the time, the ones he was leaving behind, as in Mark 16:14, where it says that Jesus "appeared to the Eleven" (that is, the apostles minus Judas).
2) I think it's a lot more important to try to live as Christ taught people to live than to try to get other people to do so.

Of course, there's also a somewhat snarky reason, which is this: do you really, really think there is anyone in the U.S. who hasn't heard already about Christianity? Or, really, on the entire continent? Plus Europe? Plus large parts of... well, you get the idea. When Christianity was new, it made sense for people to focus on spreading the gospel. But now I think it makes a lot more sense to focus on living it.

(Of course, I don't always do the best job with that, but I can keep trying, and more importantly, keep wanting to.)

Speaking of living what the Bible teaches, here's some things I think more people could concentrate on (including me, at least some of the time):
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.—Romans 12:14-18
I've mentioned Romans 12 before as something I think is a decent summation of what I believe Christianity should be about, but the last time around I concentrated on the first half and the way it talks about people having different gifts and therefore different ways to serve God. This is from the latter half, where it talks about ways everyone can.

I fight with my SO, and I make snarky comments about people, and I am sometimes conceited, and I've certainly said things in the heat of the moment designed to hurt someone who hurt me, to name a few ways in which I don't really live up to this standard. That doesn't mean I'm not trying (although I have to admit the snarky commentary is something I'm unlikely to ever give up, and I'm not sure that's entirely a problem when it's meant in good humor) but it does mean that, like everyone, I have my flaws, and I suppose that means I'm not really in a position to judge others.

But sometimes I think people aren't even trying, and it's particularly sad to me when such behavior comes from someone who is a Christian. I see an awful lot of Christians bloggers and media figures who pretty much come off like they're living the opposite of these guidelines: cursing their perceived persecutors, sneering at those who rejoice, laughing at those who mourn, generally not living in harmony with anyone who doesn't believe exactly what they do, believing and stating they are better than others, turning around and trying to persecute or undermine people they believe have wronged them, believing that the ends justify the means, and in general promoting disharmony and lack of peace. I'm not going to point fingers at specific people here, because I think that would sort of be doing something similar, but really, I don't think I have to. I think it's a shame when anyone does these things, but when it comes from self-identified Christians it seems particularly jarring.

But while I wish that would change, I can't do much about it, and I should be focusing on me, so let me end by saying that I do want to be better at living a life of peace, understanding, and harmony... as long as that means I can still write snarky posts on my other blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment