Thursday, December 3, 2009

While I'm in a cranky mood

Might I point you over to slacktivist's very well-written posts on why it is the "Manhattan Declaration" is unacceptable? (If you don't know what it is, Fred'll also let you know that part.)

They can be found here, with a followup here, and lastly, here.

Go read them. Yes, now. I've got a few comments, myself, but they can wait until you're done.

Leaving aside my own reasoning on why I don't think homosexuality is wrong, even for Christians, the sort of "reasoning" that goes into this sort of movement still strikes me as unacceptable for Christians.

If your stance is that homosexuality and legalized abortion are wrong things, that's one thing. I disagree, but I do actually understand why some Christians feel that way. It's when people start calling them The Most Important Things to Christians that my understanding stops. These things were not Christ's concerns. Christ's concerns were little things like charity and love and understanding that even people who are different in a way you don't like are God's children. I say "little things" here in a sarcastic sense, of course, but really when looking at this sort of behavior, this expressed belief, I see people essentially saying that the things that Christ taught are little things.

How can ignoring the things Christ thought were most important in favor of your own prejudices be an acceptable act for a Christian?

What's more, it's lying—in fact, I think it would qualify as false witness— to tell people that marriage has always been a certain way and done for a certain reason, when, in fact, that's just not so. Fred covered this pretty well in his second post, so I won't get into it further here, but I want to emphasize that bit about "false witness". Because, see, if you tell people a lie to get them to condemn a certain group... well, what would you call it?

You can add that to the things I don't think qualify as acceptable behavior for Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment