Tuesday, March 9, 2010

God's not the inflexible one

Via Sadly, No!, I was linked to a post basically complaining about the word homophobia and how it's all wrong because Christians don't fear homosexuals, they just... something. I'm not clear on what the "something" is because the article being discussed is really poorly written. I'm not going to get into the debate on the word here because that would distract from my main point, which was brought up in the commentary to the Sadly, No! post, wherein several people highlighted this quote from the original article:

We trust the God who cannot lie, not to change his mind and give us a whole new set of rules just because the times they are a changing. In fact it is God's promise that he will not change his edicts, statutes, restrictions or commands that assure us, even though the world is in a great storm; God is always an immovable rock.

It's an interesting stance for a Christian to take, since even leaving aside Hebrews 8, the whole foundation of Christianity is about God basically making a new set of rules for how we can get to Heaven. And by "interesting stance", I mean "contradictory to the very basis of the Christian religion".

Because, see, here's the thing: what defines Christianity is that Christians believe Jesus made a new covenant in God's name and at His direction, one based around Christ's sacrifice for our sins and his teachings during his time in the world. That's pretty much by definition a change in the rules, what with it being a new covenant and all. (It's also not the first time God did that, which really anyone who's read the Bible should know.)

God's a lot less unchanging than this guy allows for, in other words. And he's not alone. I guess I just I don't understand why so many Christians paint God as so inflexible, when the Bible simply does not back that up.

Of course, maybe the reason people like the quote's author feel God is inflexible is because they are. I mean, not to harp on this point, but anyone who thinks it's fine to eat a bacon cheeseburger but that it's not fine for someone to be gay because Leviticus says so, and for whom no amount of pointing out the contradiction there can make them even reconsider, is being pretty inflexible. But I think I've made my views on that one clear, so I'll just say that maybe this guy and people like him might want to think some more about those two Bible chapters I linked to before making statements on the nature of God's inflexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment