Monday, October 12, 2009

Is Proselytizing a Sin? (Part 3/Final)

So, let's wrap this up, and go back to my basic question: Is proselytizing a sin?

I think I've shown how it can be, whether one defines sin as "harm against other people" or "offenses against God". Anything that drives people away from God (and, if you think Christianity is the One True Way, Christ) pretty much would have to be a sin, and generally speaking, things that harm people are sinful.

But is it always a sin?

Strictly speaking, no, I suppose it isn't. It's possible to tell people about Christ and Christianity without resorting to scare tactics. To persuade and to lead and to be a good example instead of to threaten and to push and to insist. It's possible to set out to convert people—that being what proselytizing is for—without ever resorting to the tactics I loathe.

So why ask the question, when I know the answer is "No"?

Because too many people do it the wrong way. Too many people don't ever even think of these things, or are willing to chalk it up to "ends justify the means". People who consider themselves Christians should not be out hurting others, scaring them, terrifying them in the name of Christ.

Too many Christians are out to pimp God to the unbelievers through any means at their disposal, regardless of the consequences.

Originally, when I sat down thinking I'd write about proselytizing and what turns me off of it, I was going to make a point I've seen a few other people make, about how some Christians out there treat it like they're in sales. I find that distasteful, and maybe I'll write a bit more about that later. But when I was thinking about what I wanted to say, I thought of that kid I babysat for, his tears, his fear, and I thought that writing about that seemed a lot more important. Maybe it won't do any good, I don't know. But I have this hope that someone out there will come across this, and recognize themselves as the type of person who would try to scare someone into believing what they do, and rethink it. And I have this hope that someone out there will come across this, and recognize it from the other side, and realize that Christianity doesn't have to be about that fear.

Faith should be a comfort to people. It should help sustain people through the bad times. It should never be about fearing the worse ones. Fear is what causes doubts; hope, faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment